Wednesday 22 September 2004

From an email on 21 September, 2004.

Hello my Tokyo friends,

I am very sorry that I haven't been in contact. I have been running back and forth between Taipei and Tokyo and wondering about the meaning of life and whether or not I can really graduate. But I am happy to say that...

I have finally graduated! I am officially an MBA, but also officially UNEMPLOYED.

The past 2 years really flew by in 2 blinks, a few clinks, and a couple of winks. School was great because it gave me plenty of leisure to be playing with you all the time, going to dinners, lunches, picnics, clubs (although I usually ran home by midnight for fear of my fairy godmother turning into the evil stepmother)... Has anyone seen a glass slipper by any chance?

As some of you may know, I was on the track to a career in investment banking. A very big THANK YOU!! to those that have been helping me. I was looking for jobs in that field, but actually in the back of my head, really wanted to do financial broadcasting. Unsuccessful job searches in Japan forced me to start thinking about what I was doing and what I wanted. Dealing with money and business come natural to me, and I've always felt confident about those. I thought that as long as I am good at anything, I will like it. It is very childish, but I realized just recently that it's not really the case. There are plenty of jobs that each person can do, but the real issue is in finding the one that they enjoy (and can make a living from).

To make a long story short, I can't convince myself anymore to do what other people say I would be great at. So that is to say, no PhD or investment banking (for now). I'm going to knock around in media instead. I would like to be producing and hosting. In other words, I want to be running around before the camera and behind the camera. Eventually, also managing or even owning. And then take over the world.

But with my background and lack of Japanese skills, I don't have much chance of anything in Japan. And I will have one godmother breathing down my neck every morning and night telling me to change industries and get a real job. So I am going to let 2 parents, 4 dogs, 30 birds and 40 fish do that to me instead, in Taipei. Jenny and I will take over the world.

I am flying 7 October and shipping all of my things, but I am not leaving. Home is where the heart is, and part of my heart will always be with you in Tokyo, or wherever you may go. My intuition tells me that I will be coming back here quite often. But with all the weddings going on, anyone can tell you that.

Is there a time I can see some of you before I go? Let's schedule something soon, because my caloric quota is beginning to fill up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow are you nihonnjinn or were you and expat?? btw i randomly found your blong and it was one of the rare ones that referred to japan instead of china or hongkong so i had to commennto

peace