Saturday 8 January 2011

Remembering Grandma Weng

Dear Grandmother on Dad's side passed away 3 Jan. Growing up on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, I didn't get to spend much time with her as a child. But I remember that she loved all of her grandchildren very much. My impression of her is that she was always surrounded by beautiful things. She was always properly dressed. She never raised her voice in front of us. She didn't spoil us rotten either. I have been digging in my brain for memories with her, but I can't seem to come up with very much. Oh where did they go??? It is as frustrating to not be able to remember as it is painful to not be able to hug her anymore.

Thank god there are pictures to look at and family members' stories to listen to. I am lucky to be getting to know my grandmother more and more this way. Perhaps should all tell stories of our parents, family and friend more often. I think we would all appreciate each other more this way too.

I have been asked to make a short movie for the funeral, but I hope it will also be something that we can watch again in the future when we forget how it feels to be with her and to be loved by her. Hopefully it will be a video for our children and grandchildren who are not yet born to get to know their ancestor and to let her spirit and love live on in their hearts.



1 comment:

Bryan said...

Michella,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. Remembering the good times and good things about her is part of honoring her legacy.