Friday 25 September 2009

"Hodo hodo ni"



I think I overdid it with all the jogging and cycling the past few days. This morning I went power walking instead. My right tensor fasciae latae is hurting like how my mothers’ words can on certain days. (Re: mother’s cutting words – call it “miscommunication,” call it “post-menopausal PMS,” call it “venting to me because they love me so much,” call it “I deserved it,” whatever.) What, you don’t know what a tensor fasciae latae is? That’s OK, I don’t know how to pronounce it either. It’s a muscle on the upper leg that starts from the pelvis and ends halfway down the thigh on the side. There’s that voice going on in my head, “ほどほどに.” Blah. I won’t have time to exercise tomorrow anyway – it’s the crazy 3AM Saturday morning news routine and family day following. Need to stretch more, and to start working 空手型 with a little bit of 太極 into the routine so I’m not so harsh on my body all the time.

(image from Wikipedia)

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hmm... maybe you just pushed yourself to go too fast.

I've managed to go from like zero to 50-80km of running a week in the course of a month this summer and keep with it injury free ever since, despite being pretty heavy for a runner.

The only secret has been not going fast. I just try to stick at nice easy pace and don't let my pulse go over 145. It's been kind of hard to hold myself back sometimes, though. A couple of times, I've just let go and run it up to over 190, but not often.

All in all, I think the easier jogging is still leading to big fitness improvements... just without so much pain. Get well soon!

Unknown said...

Wow, 80 km is quite a lot of running!

I've thought keeping my HR below 150 for the purpose of maximizing aerobic exercise and burning off some non-performing assets (ahem...) but I'd practically be walking.

Any advice as to be able to go at at decent pace and not be panting out my lungs or killing my muscles and ligaments?