Wednesday 20 June 2007

Quiet afternoon



-鄧麗君, 雨液花 -

Enjoying a 2005 South African Cabernet Sauvignon by myself at 14h00 in the afternoon on a Wednesday, listening to Teresa Teng 鄧麗君 singing 雨夜花. Interesting combination. Interesting thing to be doing on a weekday afternoon too, I must say.

I've been drinking Chilean Merlot for a while, and I realized that it's a little too bold for me. It's like a big handsome guy sporting too much cologne and breath freshener and walking around in pants that are just too tight to please the eye. I need something a little more sophisticated I think. This Joostenberg from South Africa's West Cape seems to work.

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed anything. Dad asked me the other day if I still had any wine left at my flat. To his surprise, I said I did. So today, I decided to open a bottle and "enjoy" myself and to do a little bit of reflecting.

- Billie Holiday, "He's Funny" -

Once in a while, I get funny feelings about how certain things will work out. I'm usually more than 90% confident and just keep going or plowing, depending on the situation, waiting for those things to happen, like reaching the finish line at the end of a crew race. But for the first time, despite my confidence, I quit halfway through.

- Duke Ellington, Sophisticated Lady -

I don't know how sophisticated quitting makes me, but it's an interesting experience to go through the emotions that I've never felt or have forgotten along the way. For once, I'm at a loss of words to describe how I feel. It's as if my canvas all of a sudden grew bigger, the white edges stretching themselves out and people at the paint shop just invented new colors.

Life is so interesting, pleasant or otherwise.

- phone call-

So ironic how single men my age don't want to take me out to dinner, but married men in their 50's keep calling me to have coffee.

No comments: