Friday 16 January 2009

Congratulations, Uncle Tsu!

Uncle Tsu recently won the most distinguished architect in Taiwan award, and there was a big dinner celebration in Taipei for it this evening. Grandpa and Grandma were here too.

This is the speech I wrote in my head during other people's speeches, just in case I was called up to say something. I didn't get called, but here it is anyway.

大家晚安,請各位貴賓一邊用餐
就當一般晚行吃飯配新聞一樣
您吃您的,我西哩呼嚕講我的

我叫Michella Jade 翁郁容
目前是民視的記者、主播
歹勢,前面沒有讀稿機,不太會說話
所以我講短一點,過關就好

大家可能好奇我是誰
嗯,我也姓翁
但是我不是這位翁先生的女兒
也不是她妹妹的私生女
嘿是報紙黑白亂寫的
為了戳破這緋聞
爸爸、媽媽,請站起來跟大家揮揮手
看吧,我也像我爸媽
雖然也跟乾媽很像

爸爸和Uncle Tsu其實是好久好久的好朋友

我是大學畢業後認識Uncle Tsu的
一開始就好喜歡Uncle Tsu
因為我覺得他是透過很特別的眼鏡看世界
至對於我啦
其他叔叔們都把我當小朋友
只有Uncle Tsu把我當大人看
所以認識的那一天就開始覺得這位Uncle真的好讚喔

不過還是要帶大家回到我小的時候
我小時候第一個夢想就是要當太空人
後來人家跟我說當太空人不能近視眼
但我就是近視眼...
無法度,只好放棄
後來又有了個夢想,大概國中的時候
我想當建築師
我好喜歡看建築物
當時不曉得在哪裡看到
Frank Lloyd Wright的作品
然後就愛上了
可是又有人跟我說,
當建築師數學要好
我數學不好,就又夢碎了

後來大學、研究所畢業,
淪陷電視新聞,成為社會亂象的傳播者,社會亂源...
但是至少我在採訪時,在台北,甚至在搭高鐵的時候,
可以說那個車站,那個大樓,那棟豪宅,那個綠建築,超酷,超美,超有讚吧?!
那就是我的Uncle Tsu設計的!

I'm so proud of my Uncle Tsu.
Congratulations, Uncle Tsu!

-------------------------------

English translation:

Good evening, everyone. Please go ahead and enjoy your dinner at the same time. Pretend you're having dinner while watching the news on TV. You eat, I'll babble.

My name is Michella Jade Weng, I'm currently a reporter and anchor at Formosa TV. Sorry, I don't have a teleprompter in front of me, so I don't quite know what to say. I'll keep it short and just aim to pass.

You're probably wondering what my relationship to Mr Ongg is. Yup, we have the same last name, but I'm not his daughter. I'm not his sister's secret child she had out of wedlock, either. What they say in the tabloid news isn't true. To prove it, Mom, Dad, please stand up and wave to everyone. See? I look like both of my parents. Though I do look like my godmother too.

Actually, Dad and Uncle Tsu (Mark Ongg) are really, really old friends.

I didn't meet Uncle Tsu until I graduated from college, but I liked him the moment I met him. I felt he saw the world through different spectacles, at least pertaining to me. All the other uncles treated me like a child, whereas he was the only one that looked at me as a grown-up. So from the day I met him, I thought, this uncle is cool.

But I'd still like to take you back to when I was little. The first thing I ever wanted to be when I grew up was an astronaut. Then someone told me that astronauts needed perfect vision. I was near-sighted. Bummer. so I gave up. Then I had another dream, of becoming an architect. That was when I was in middle school. I saw projects by Frank Lloyd Wright and I was totally in love. Then someone told me that architects have to be really good at math. I was not. My dream was shattered yet again.

Then after college and grad school, I ended up falling into TV news, broadcasting social unrest and creating even more social chaos and you know how the story goes. But at least when I'm reporting in Taipei and even on the high speed railway in Taiwan, I can say "that station, that high rise, that luxury residential tower, that green building! Isn't it cool? Isn't it beautiful? Isn't it just awesome?! Those were designed by MY UNCLE TSU."

I'm so proud of my Uncle Tsu.
Congratulations, Uncle Tsu!


-------------------------------

The average age of the five tables of guests there tonight was probably 45 with the median age of 55, so I really hoped to liven things up. It was supposed to be funny and I wanted to show how proud I am of Uncle Tsu, as a niece.

My just-in-case speech I wrote during everyone else's didn't get used, but that's OK. I'm still so happy about his achievement.

No comments: