Thursday 24 July 2008

Heart Aid Shisen (Sichuan)



(via Yahoo Japan news)

I was in Tokyo last week for Heart Aid Shisen (Sichuan) charity concert. A short, tiring and expensive trip it was, but I wanted to be there for Mama, who headed the production. After a month of nonstop meetings, thousands of telephone calls and several IV drips, she did it. It appeared to be a big success. In corporate sponsorship alone, they raised more than JPY 30 mn. In addition to that, there were private donations and item donations made by artists for the auction, which brought even more money. I'm so so so proud of my godmother. I was really worried because she had been so late in getting started, but it turned out wonderfully.

Artists included Judy Ongg, Jackie Chan (HK), Sandy Lam (HK), Aaron Kwok (HK), Ekin Cheng (HK), Minami Kosetsu (JP), Iruka (JP), Hino Terumasa (JP), Togi Hideki (JP), Jaywalk (JP), W-inds (JP), alan (CH/JP), Atari Kosuke (JP), John Hoon (KR), July (KR).

Each artist performed two songs. While most sang two of their most popular songs, there were a few who had the good sense to sing one of their most loved songs to thank the audience for coming, and to sing one song dedicated to the victims of the Sichuan earthquake.

My two favorite songs that evening were Judy Ongg's Qidao (祈禱) and Sandy Lam's cover of Mariah Carey's Hero. I expected Qidao coming, but not Hero.


(at the PC before the concert, via アジアンパラダイス)

A few bars into the song, my eyes began to well up. The tears finally overflowed when I saw Sandy's eyes started filling with tears too. Never have the lyrics of that song touched me so strongly. I usually don't try to get to know artists (so I get to keep the image that they portray in my mind, rather than finding out that they're cool but really dumb or something) unless it's for work or I'm formally introduced, but I wish I talked to Sandy before she left. I felt that the genuineness of her delivery of Hero that night showed her sincerity and compassion. Later I found out that when she got the call inviting her to join the cause, she spent that weekend making an acrylic painting for the auction. This is one artist I'd like to get to more of.

The lyrics to Hero, via Lyrics007
There's a hero If you look inside your heart You don't have to be afraid Of what you are There's an answer If you reach into your soul And the sorrow that you know Will melt away

And then a hero comes along With the strength to carry on And you cast your fears aside And you know you can survive So when you feel like hope is gone Look inside you and be strong And you'll finally see the truth That a hero lies in you

It's a long road When you face the world alone No one reaches out a hand For you to hold You can find love If you search within yourself And the emptiness you felt Will disappear

And then a hero comes along With the strength to carry on And you cast your fears aside And you know you can survive So when you feel like hope is gone Look inside you and be strong And you'll finally see the truth That a hero lies in you

Lord knows Dreams are hard to follow But don't let anyone Tear them away Hold on There will be tomorrow In time You'll find the way

And then a hero comes along With the strength to carry on And you cast your fears aside And you know you can survive So when you feel like hope is gone Look inside you and be strong And you'll finally see the truth That a hero lies in you


Here is Mariah Carey singing Hero on Youtube.

Here are Youtube videos of the concert. I hear it will be broadcasted on NHK in a couple of months.







My pass.

No comments: