Wednesday 16 December 2009

New look 新造型

Managing director: Why do you look so DIFFERENT when you're anchoring? You don't look like yourself.
Me: Yes, I know. People keep asking me, is that...your aunt?
MD: You look so old and so not like you during other times. You normally look so much like XXX but when you're anchoring... Why?
Me: ...maybe the hair and make-up?
MD: Why is it you don't look like XXX when you're anchoring? What's the problem?
Me: ...maybe the hair, make-up and wardrobe are different and done by other people? (I have almost no control over any of the these three things)
MD: You look so much like XXX off screen.
(she's starting to sound like a broken record)
Me: mm hm...
MD: It's time you get a new look. Give it a try. It may bomb, but that may not be a bad thing either. You can even shave your head. It would make a big impression.
Me: HM?!
MD: It's OK, it's about time you change your look anyway. If it doesn't work out, we'll try something else.
Me: (not about to shave my head) You mean you want me to look more like XXX when I anchor?
MD: Yes, give it a try.

So I'm getting a new look. Let's hope it doesn't get any worse. I don't think it can. One of my coworkers already called me "阿桑," so maybe it can't get any worse. The only people around here that get called 阿桑 are the old ladies that clean for us. Well, and me too when I'm anchoring.

"Why have you been looking the way you don't want to look all this time?" you ask. A sempai once told me, "Don't get involved with make-up and wardrobe. If you try to make changes and the MD doesn't like what she sees, even if it's not your problem, even if it's not a problem at all, all the blame can be placed on you. So protect yourself and don't worry about how you look, at least for now." So I try to keep my mouth shut.

The most puzzling thing to me is why the hair lady has to pull hair from the back of my head forward, like how some men like to pull their hair from one side to the other to cover the top that is bare. I keep telling her, "But I'm not bald..." On screen when I don't turn my head, you can't really tell what's going on, but when I'm walking around the office, people see a head that is flat in the back and has a 90 degree angle where the back and the top meet. It's like I'm straight out of the Conehead movie, except I'm a Squarehead. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but only a little.

Not anchoring this week because I'm on the vampires/wherewolves shift, but I should be back next Saturday morning. Stay tuned!

No comments: