Thursday 24 November 2011

Maolin Crow Butterflies 茂林紫斑蝶


Purple Crow Butterflies are starting to arrive in Maolin, Pingtung (屏東縣茂林) for the winter. From about 1000 to 1200 every day, you can see swarms of these beautiful creatures just from the side of the road. The trick to photographing these guys is to simply focus on one at a time and waiting until it opens its wings. They'll open and close, open and close. I didn't learn that until after we left. So no pictures of them with wings open. Silly me. You'll have to watch our news report that comes out in a few weeks.



Hanging out at the nectar bar.







Lunch time! 



Happy to see that our driver really enjoyed the trip too.



Canon Kiss X3
EF 100mm F2.8 L macro IS USM
Aperture

1 comment:

OzSoapbox said...

Argh I hate these things. They're the big giant butterflies right?

Riding my bike and they just fly into me... and I hate insects in general, let along giant black butterflies!