Thursday 10 November 2005

Good Girl?

Rest never comes when one hopes for it. I slept at 1h00 and woke up at 5h00. I couldn’t go back to sleep, so I decided to drive to Yangmingshan (陽明山) to buy breakfast for everyone—fried breadstick and savory soybean soup (燒餅油條 鹹豆漿). That’s a poor translation, but the actual food is irresistible. These types of breakfast places are quite common, and the one I went to is about a 25 minute-drive away, but we’ve been going there for more than ten years now. They’re very good. I’m going to see if I can do a story on them.

On my way out, the street lights were just turning off. My father was leaving for the Philippines and my mother was going to see her physical exam report, which she has been very worried about, yesterday, so I thought I would try to be nice and stop being selfish, for once.

In the afternoon, I accompanied my mother to hear the explanation of the exam results, which were favorable and proved just how much imagination for the worse she has. Afterwards, we went to have our feet massaged. I’ve had foot massages a few times before, but the sensei that did it for me yesterday was amazing. I was konked out for FIVE hours afterwards, through my mother’s driving all over the city and stopping in several places. I even got out of the car and continued sleeping in whatever chair there was wherever she went. I’m going back to this guy. I think it may become my weekly activity with my mother.

I continued sleeping on the sofa when we got home. But I couldn’t sleep anymore come bed time. Needless to say, I had another rough night.

I missed printmaking class again, which means I might not get credit for the class, but it was worth it to spend time with my mom. In addition, I didn’t think it was possible to be in the same room and car for so many hours without driving each other crazy, so I guess my emotional intelligence has increased, perhaps. PERHAPS. We’ll see. I have another week to muster up some courage to try it again.

No comments: