Thursday 16 October 2008

A call from the cracker company

The distributor of the crackers from last night called me and asked me to remove their company's name from the money culture post. Apparently, if you typed in the name of the cracker company and melamine, Google will bring you to my blog. And to make a bad situation worse for them, it looked like they were selling toxic crackers and tried to pay off the media. Now, they did try to give money, which I didn't take, and I feel I have done nothing wrong. But I decided to remove the name anyway, since they apologized for the "misunderstanding," and my blog post was about money culture in Taiwan in general. They said a veteran reporter advised them to give money to reporters that came to take a statement or make an interview, and they followed the advice, for lack of experience in dealing with media. Whatever the truth is, I'm not going to think about it further. I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt, both in the case of the money and in the case of selling cookies tested by the Taipei Health Bureau to be tainted with melamine to Taiwanese consumers.

No comments: