Wednesday 5 December 2007

Recording history with running shoes




Recording history is not easy. I'm dead tired, and it's only the beginning. I probably ran more than 10k today, covering (inefficiently and sometimes ineffectively) day one of the showdown between Taiwan's central government and the Taipei city government on the issue tearing down the giant characters "大中至正" that commemorate Chiang Kai Shek at the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial. People against it call this a cultural revolution, and people for it say it's a step towards true democracy.

I didn't do a very good job of handling the scene today, from anticipating what could happen and where I may need help to speaking clearly and smoothly during live reporting. There were too many things going on, I wasn't very clear on exactly what/where/who I was supposed to cover and I had no idea what other team members were available to help and what they were doing. I am partly to blame and our assigners are also partly to blame, but it was one enormous mess. Well, it wasn't all that bad, but I feel bad. I know I'm still a rookie, but I think I could have done better.

After 11 hours of continuous running, walking, standing, talking, yelling and answering my mobile that won't stop ringing in between, I am completely exhausted. But there will be much more action tomorrow, starting very early in the morning, so I am wearing my running shoes. Good night.

(images via TVBS news)

No comments: