Tuesday 21 July 2009

Running and resting

The last seven days seemed to be especially long. Not unpleasant, but really tiring, traveling for the travel features, doing spot news and anchoring. Things never get any less relaxing, but at least they've gotten more interesting. I do still love my job :) Of course, I'm on the lookout for something new too.

I've also been running a lot more these days, party to teach myself discipline, partly to be healthy and partly because I'm having fun with the Sports Tracker, which doesn't track distance very well when I'm running. The time's accurate, but the distance comes out longer than what it really is. In the last 12 days, I've made eight runs, totaling 5,5 hours. I've been not listening to music, just trying to concentrate on the run and putting things out of my mind, kind of like meditating, and it works great. At the end of each run, I'll have worked out some of the things that have been bothering me. Like tonight, I figured out what to do when I'm stuck in an unpleasant lunch/dinner - drink a lot of water and eat only a little food. This evening, I had dinner and had to listen to someone vent for what seemed like an eternity, and by the end of dinner, I was close to vomiting because my stomach had become so upset. Also, I also figured out what was wrong with my latest salad - I should use thin strips of ham instead of diced ham. See? Running is good for the body and the mind.

And it's time for this body and mind to get some rest. They're both completely exhausted and hoping the office and no one else calls in the morning tomorrow so they can finally sleep in.

Tomorrow, it's laundry, writing and hanga. It will be a Me day, hopefully.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Good post. I think that you are ready to move on to more weighty matters during your runs; such as world peace, solving the problems on the Korean penninsula, etc. :)

lin said...

Not sure if you're a Murakami fan, but you should check out Haruki Murakami's "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running".

Ken said...

Ah, "Me days", I miss those. Enjoy them before you have a kid.

Unknown said...

Bryan: Hahaha! Maybe people who are to solve world peace and Korean peninsula matters should go running too :)

Lin: Thank you, I'm going to put that on my book list.

Ken: Me days are hard to come by even these days w/o a boyfriend, husband or kids. I think I may be able to adapt OK, assuming I do have kids one day.