Wednesday 31 October 2007

Patty takes the cake

After rolling out two stories this afternoon, I get a call from Patty, one of my very best friends from junior high school.

Patty: Hi Michella. Are you still at work?
Me: Hi Patty. Yes, I am. I'm always at work. What's up?
P: Oh, nothing much. How much longer will you still be there for? There's something I want to give you.
(Thinking to myself, I see Patty an average of once a year or every two years, and she has something to BRING me? She's not likely to come all the way to my office just to trick or treat me...)
M: Um, I'll be here until at least 20h00. What's going on?
P: OK, I gotta go home to get it first. I'll be there in an hour or so.
M: Oh my, this is starting to sound like more than "something." Is this a WEDDING INVITATION???
P: No, it's not an invitation...
M: Is it...an engagement cake (喜餅) then???
P: Yes, it is.
M: Oh my goodness!! Congratulations!! Oh my goodness!! Oh my goodness!! Oh my goodness!!



It's tradition in these parts for the bride side to give out engagement cakes or cookies at the time of engagement. Out of my closest friends from junior high school that I've kept in touch with, Patty is probably the first one to get married. Trendy's wedding is coming up soon, but I never got her cake or invitation and am totally lost on the wedding date that she keeps pushing further and further back. She asked me if I would emcee her wedding, but now I have no idea when it's going to be. So, Patty takes the cake, literally.

Congratulations!!

No comments: