Sunday 23 October 2005

Day Off

I woke up this morning with the world's biggest headache, at 10h50, which means I slept for more than 10 hours, which is probably why I had the headache.

All day long, I was lethargic, grumpy and my stomach didn't feel well. As my parents were preparing for their party, I stayed in my room. I could barely move. The way I felt reminds me of the time I nearly fried my brain during graduate school. I had been studying for days and days and days. One day, I just went froze. It took several seconds for me to react to anything, and I couldn't get myself to think at all. Well, I haven't been doing much thinking or studying lately, so my brain's still fine. Perhaps it's just my body that's overloaded.

Most of the day, I just cleaned my room, though it still quite a mess. I still have days of newspapers to catch up on.

I'm back to work tomorrow. In the morning, I'm going to do another dog and pony story about local kids playing in a football tournament, which is something quite rare, and very good, as my editor tells me. He coaches them. Then I'll be doing a story on the Hash House Harriers, a running (drinking?) club.

Please give me some ideas for "fun" stories!

Here's the script to one of my stories that we aired earlier.

Slug: Sound of History

Lead-in:
From tube radios to gramophones, Number One Dian Tai (電台) Street has them all. FTV's Michella Weng takes you to the mini-museum in Taichung that celebrates the history of audio and broadcast and brings back some feelings of nostalgia.##

Hidden away in Taichung city is this quiet little complex that looks like an old private estate from some colonial era. But it's actually the site of the third oldest radio broadcast station in Taiwan. It was built by the Japanese in 1935. And when the Chinese Nationalist Party or KMT took over, the station became a part of the government-owned Broadcast Corporation of China (BCC).
這個隱藏在台中市的
某個角落的建築物
看起來像日據時代的老別墅.
可別看它小小的不起眼
它可是台灣第三家廣播電台
是日本人在1935年建立的.
國民黨來台執政後
這個電台就變成中央廣播電台的一部分.
Seven years ago, the BCC returned the complex to Taichung City and it has since become a mini museum of broadcast-related items.
七年前,中廣把這個地方還給台中市政府 現在已經成為了一個小小的廣播博物館

There is a collection of antique radios, tubes, disc phonographs, cylinder phonographs...enough to make even me nostalgic. There's even an old Japanese record here. In some cases, the original manuals are preserved along with the equipment.
這邊的古董收音機,真空管,各式各樣的留聲機
足夠引發你對舊時代的想像
這邊還有一張日本唱片
連操作說明書都被保留的好好的.

And even though guided tours are only in Mandarin, just looking at the items and hearing the gramophones may be enough to work up some nostalgia.
雖然只有中文導覽
但是展示品加上留聲機傳出的旋律
絕對足夠讓你有一種懷念的感覺.

Ending stand-up:
Wow, that was kind of interesting. And although there wasn't any music playing in there, I could've sworn I heard Ella Fitzgerald coming out of one of those radios. This is Michella Weng of Formosa TV in Taichung.
這真的很有趣
雖然裡頭沒有放音樂
但是我彷彿好像能夠從收音機裡
聽到艾拉費茲潔羅的歌聲.
民視新聞 翁郁容 在台中採訪報導.

No comments: