Thursday 27 October 2005

My Maybe

Playing on iTunes: Ramblin' Rose (Nat King Cole)

My maybe turned into a NO. Two days ago, my producer told me that the news department was sending two cameramen, one translator and me to Japan to report in both Mandarin and English on shinkansen (新幹線) related news. Taiwan custom ordered some trains from Japan for its new high speed railway, and the trains were completed and to be unveiled next week. We were the only station that they were hosting. Apparently, something went wrong with the satellite feed (negotiations maybe?), so we can't go anymore. I was really looking forward to it, and really looking forward to perhaps being able to see my grandparents and my godmother, and celebrating my godmother's new achievement.

It would have been my very first official business trip. And to Japan too. At least I know the people upstairs are willing to give me a chance now. They may as well have sent another reporter and had our team translate the story into English.

Well, no satellite, no go. Well, it seems consistent with how my luck's been going this year--not entirely bad, but not enough to get me anywhere. I just have to work harder.

No more slacking!

I found some work to do over the weekend, so I'm not going to Hualien anymore. The only thing I've got to look forward to is the Omara Portuondo concert that I paid a bunch of money for to go by myself. Now I almost don't want to go anymore.

One piece of good news is, the 15-minute news documentary I translated and voiced over for is now one of the finalists for the Asian TV Awards. The reporter personally called to tell me the news. I'm glad I was of some help. Apparently, she really likes my style. Well, it's her story. Hopefully, she will have better luck than me. We should know the results in a few weeks' time.

No comments: