Sunday, 22 November 2009
The only real trouble was having to wait a little longer for the dogs to come off the plane.
If you are curious and/or want to help bring rescue dogs to the US, this is the process:
1. give a copy of the first page of your passport and a copy of your itinerary to your dog rescue liaison in Taipei (Faustina for me)
2. meet the dog rescue people at the airport - they will take care of all paperwork and bring the dogs to meet you
3. check in as usual, dog rescue people will check the dogs in
4. after getting off the plane in the US, find a porter to help you put the dog kennels on a big cart and push it out to the arrivals lobby where the American dog rescue people are waiting for you
5. tip the porter with the USD the dog rescue people in Taiwan will have given you
6. say goodbye and make a wish
So you pay nothing extra and don't even have to touch the dogs if you don't want to.
Can you believe it was that easy for me to bring seven rescue dogs to the US? Most of the work has been done by the dog rescue people already. All I really did was give the dogs a ride.
It was a good experience for me, and I would definitely do this again. Leave a message if you want to help too!