Sunday 27 January 2008

Sick day 病假


I got what I wished for and woke up with a right eyelid puffed up like an angry blowfish. Well, it wasn't that bad, but it would only open halfway. I called the chief editor for sick leave, and while she didn't sound happy, I didn't really care. Actually, I felt mischievously GOOD and excited that I gained an extra day to myself.

But since my eye was no joke and I needed proof of sickness, I went to the hospital to get it taken look at. After a diagnosis of bacterial infection (possibly from the eyelid tape or fake eyelashes), eye medicine, a certificate of diagnosis for the office and TWD 720 out of my wallet, I was free free free. I've never felt so good about being physically unwell. Hahahaha!



It was 10h30 by the time I left the hospital, so I decided to go for brunch. While waiting for the kitchen to open and my food to arrive, I started reading a book Elaine recommended, called "子供のセンスは夕焼けが作る.” The Chinese version is called "美感是最好的家教." Elaine said it's a great book on developing a child's sense of beauty and highly recommended it. I just realized, I've only met her once, and she already wants to marry me off and is having me read a book on child rearing. Well. Hm. Whatever. I myself am often a child, so I guess the book is good for me too. I'm still on the first chapter, but I think a lot of what she talks about and suggests is good for everyone, not just for kids.











For the first time in a while, I spent time and enjoyed my food. It was a falafel pita at Citizen Cain - they have a few good dishes, but I went for their falafel (also available at their pita and falafel joint Sababa). They told me the scrambled eggs there is quite good, so I ordered that and ended up not being able to finish everything but still craving for green food, like leafy vegetables. I realized that sometimes I choose food by the color and not entirely by the ingredients or how they're prepared.



This is the yummy falafel pita (a little dry this time though). Inside the pita, there are tomato slices, pickles, tahini, hummus and falafel balls made of chickpeas, parsley, onion, garlic. Falafel is one of my favorite meatball alternatives and one of those things I'm willing to eat alone.





I usually like mint tea with my falafel because it's fried, and the strong onion and garlic flavors need a little bit of neutralizing after the plate's been cleared. But today, I just had warm water - another favorite of mine. Warm water is comforting, but when I ask for it in Japan and America, the waiters always give me the look like I'm asking for warm beer.

No comments: